Bajan Manners At De Doc's Office

The Caribbean Is One Nation.

                                                       Bajan Manners At De Doc's Office


By Michael Headley

On June 02, while sitting in the waiting room  at the Doctor’s office  I had an unforgettable experience.  The room was crowded, but quiet, as some people spoke in hushed tones, on their cell phones, completely ignoring the sign, at the counter, that read ‘Turn off Cell phones’.    If we were all in compliance then we would not be true New Yorkers because some of us tend to conveniently ignore  instructions, especially if we don’t see the necessity for them. 
 
The silence was soon broken by the voice of a lady saying a hearty ‘Good Afternoon’.   The response, in the room, was just as hushed as the phone conversations, and some did not even respond.  At that point, the lady, who was dressed nicely,  sternly asked if the people in there did not speak.  And without hesitation and gusto she declared ‘I am from Barbados and where I come from we speak”.   At this point I said a louder, second Good Afternoon but the others still kept quiet.   She then, still visibly annoyed,  went and sat in a seat by the wall.  I quickly went over to her and identified myself as a fellow Bajan; I even showed her my pendant map.    In the conversation that ensued she explained her disgust with the ones who come here and change, by forgetting their heritage, and adopting unmannerly habits.  She extolled her upbringing and was proud of her Bajan manners.  And with a smile, she told me that the only thing that she would change were her clothes.
 
On my way out she gave me a wave and a  broad smile.  It was a pleasure meeting the woman from Parrish Land, Christ Church who also reminded me that I, being from St. Michael, had to pass her to get to the airport and how she, as a young girl, had enjoyed watching the planes come in for  landing. 
 
Coincidentally, as reported on Wonder Wall, The Council of Fashion Designers of America, Inc. (CFDA) was about to honor another proud Bajan, Riahana, in New York City, that night, with the fashion icon award.


Michael Headley is a social commentator.
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Me and V: a personal introduction to gay tolerance

Task Force on Food Security Needed

International Women's Day : Our Caribbean Women, Our Hope